Wednesday, June 15, 2011

First Class Idiot?

The Boston Glob today posed the question.....is Johnny Damon a Hall of Famer? I'm not a stat geek, but I took a look at the numbers, and by the numbers alone, he is close. While the stats say "maybe", my eyes and my gut say "no". I think most voters want to think of Hall of Fame hitters as guys that dominated their era. Unequivocally, you cannot argue that Damon was a dominate player the past 16 seasons. A champion? Yes. A good guy? Yes. A leader? Yes. But he's never even been in the MVP conversation, was only a 2 time All-Star, was never one of the best two players on his own team, and is going to come up short of 3,000 hits.
If the Hall considered Watermelon tosses off of hotel balconies, epic beards, naked locker-room pull-ups, and saying "um" more than anyone ever...he'd be a shoe-in. Alas, they don't and I'm afraid, Idiot nation, that JD will not be on a plaque in Cooperstown

No comments:

Post a Comment