Friday, June 17, 2011

Lord Stanley back in Boston!

It has really sunk in yet, it may not sink in, I may just be numb to championships being from Boston...but, for the first time in my life, the Bruins are Stanley Cup champs.

I grew up with Bourque, Neely,  Janney, lemelin, Moog, the Sweeneys, etc....great teams and better guys. I'm lucky enough to know a handful of them, and I've met most of them...growing up a Sox fan 1st, and Bruins fan second, these guys were my heroes...at least I thought they were, I didn't know better. They weren't champions. They were perennial runners-up. Today's group of Bruins don't have nearly the household names that the 90's B's did, but they will forever be remembered for their memorable run to the Cup.

Hockey is back in Boston. The fans are all in. Pee-wee hockey teams will be loaded this winter. Ratings are up. merchandise is flying off shelves. And, the best part is: This team is young, under contract, and ready to compete for years to come. The team that takes the ice in 110 days will be almost exactly the same. Only Ryder, Kaberle, and Hnidy are free agents, and Recchi is retiring...that's it, and those guys, if they don't re-sign, aren't exactly irreplaceable.

Let's enjoy the parade tomorrow, let's enjoy watching how the Cup is mistreated for the summer, that's all fun...but, I can't wait for the puck to drop in the fall.

Now it's time to catch some Sox games and hope they can bring Boston it's 8th championship in 11 years this October

No comments:

Post a Comment